Preamble

We are a family of three; Andrew, Jodie and Jessica (aged 18) from Tasmania, Australia who are currently serving in Douala, Cameroon, Central Africa on the M/V Africa Mercy, the largest non-governmental hospital ship in the world, through Mercy Ships International. God has called us on a journey that has been many years in the making. For this season we call Africa home, as we seek to bring hope and healing to the poorest of the poor.



Search This Blog

Thursday, April 04, 2013

A Slice of Heaven


The invite read........."Dear Jodie,
Our small group has come together to give all the "mums" on the ship a gift as an expression of God's love for you and as an opportunity to pour His love into you in your valuable positions as Mum's caring for the little ones. The gift is to have a retreat for you........."

When I opened the invite and read these words, my heart sang. A night away, a chance to get off the ship and to see the beautiful upcountry of West Africa, some time alone (mum's can relate), a time to be filled, refreshed and renewed. What a treasured gift!

After waiting several weeks it was finally time to go! In the wee hours one Saturday morning (8:00am) a group of mums and the ladies treating us piled into two of the Mercy Ships land rovers. Excited chatter filled the balmy morning air and it wasn't long before chocolate chip cookies were passed around and we were on our way. The dirty, dusty city gave way until we began to see mountains on the horizon, entangled in dense jungle. The air felt a little cooler and curious locals, their heads piled high with bric a brac and food suffs, stared at our little convoy.

A few hours later we arrived to our modest huts at the Parc Milly Mamadou in Coyah.

As if we didn't feel special enough, each of us had gift bag and bottled water waiting for us.

I have had some fun with my girlfriends in the past but I have never put up a mosquito net with them before!

We were blessed with some great teaching sessions and times of worship. There is nothing more pure than singing to God, acapella, under the canopy of his glorious creation. It was amazing!

During some free time on Saturday afternoon we were able to catch a nana nap and explore our stunning surroundings. One thing I miss is the sounds and sights of nature and how God is reflected in their beauty. That is why I love Tasmania so much. I love to bask in the gorgeous scenery from the wild mountains to the white sand beaches. So when I have to stare at barbed wire and dirty concrete buildings all day, every day for ten months at a time, I get a little crazy. At the retreat I was able to listen to the sounds of the stream babbling, birds chirping and the sound of a rake, raking up the leaves. Beautiful sounds! Sounds I miss!

 A slice of heaven in Guinea.

Stunning jungle flowers.

Creepy and HUGE spiders!!

Time for dinner. Here we are, all smiley faced and ready to eat. I dined on chicken and fries. The chicken was a little on the tough side so I resorted to a bit of cave man style by picking up my half chicken and tearing into it with my teeth.

After dinner we headed to our camp fire. Now you have to understand what a novelty this is for us. We are not allowed any naked flame on board the ship so to see this big flame and feel the intensity of it's radiating heat was a wonderful feeling, even though it was a little warm for fires.

Next morning we awoke bright and early to our breakfast of omelette and baguettes. How very French! Above, at each of our table settings was this cute little arrangement.

Here we are. looking all relaxed. My malaria meds may have cost more than the whole weekend but it was so worth it. I felt rejuvenated and as if God had given me a gift wrapped up in giant spider, exotic bird calls, waving palms, chewy chicken and some awesome women!

Matthew 11:28-30
The Message (MSG)
 “Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”



It is inevitable that every journey in West Africa contains a little bit of adventure!! It wouldn't be the same, otherwise! Here we are on the way home getting our flat tyre pumped up by some local guys.........

2 comments:

  1. Dear Jodie,

    You and your family are doing such an amazing job serving with Mercy Ships. You are such a blessing to others. I am so glad you got to enjoy this time away with other women truly special and so well deserved.

    Keep up the amazing work and know you are always in my prayers.

    Love
    Heather

    ReplyDelete