Preamble

We are a family of three; Andrew, Jodie and Jessica (aged 18) from Tasmania, Australia who are currently serving in Douala, Cameroon, Central Africa on the M/V Africa Mercy, the largest non-governmental hospital ship in the world, through Mercy Ships International. God has called us on a journey that has been many years in the making. For this season we call Africa home, as we seek to bring hope and healing to the poorest of the poor.



Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Other Side

As I enter D Ward, late one evening, patient Aboubacar's mama calls out to me and waves, her smile bright. But I signal to the ICU beds and say, "My husband is sick". Her broken English allows her to understand and her smile quickly vanishes. She shoos me away, understanding that I need to go. She knows.
 
For at least one night Andrew and I got to experience the life of a patient and caregiver on board the Africa Mercy after a very nasty bout of gastro left Andrew dehydrated and doctors unable to control his vomiting and diarrhoea without stronger medication administered through an IV. Luckily after several bags of fluids and a few days off work her was feeling much better, unlike many of our patients who endure weeks, even months in the wards often followed by visits to rehab and outpatients.
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment