Preamble

We are a family of three; Andrew, Jodie and Jessica (aged 18) from Tasmania, Australia who are currently serving in Douala, Cameroon, Central Africa on the M/V Africa Mercy, the largest non-governmental hospital ship in the world, through Mercy Ships International. God has called us on a journey that has been many years in the making. For this season we call Africa home, as we seek to bring hope and healing to the poorest of the poor.



Search This Blog

Monday, January 06, 2014

40 Years in the Making!


Not content to celebrate one 40th birthday in the Congo we have had two celebrations! This time it was my turn and there was no way I was going to mark this milestone with anything but a full weekend of celebration! I had sort of been dreading my 40th birthday, thinking that celebrating such a special birthday without any of my family would be a real non-event. So I was very excited when I found out that my Mum and Dad were coming to the ship, especially to coincide with my 40th birthday! I began the celebration the day before my actual birthday with a day with my girlfriends on the ship. I had sent out invites earlier that read:


"As someone who has poured into my life and journeyed alongside me over the years I would be privileged to have you help celebrate my 40 years on earth. You have laughed with me, cried with me, listened to me whinge, sown your wisdom, prayed for me, encouraged me and been my champions.
Friday 15th November 2:30pm-5:00pm (meet in café): Atlantic Palace Hotel for swim/dessert followed by dinner at Carnivore 6:00pm (meet in café)
My birthday would not be complete without your presence. You are a blessing!
Love Jodie"
I couldn't imagine not spending time with some of the amazing women who have lived alongside me over the past few years! Above, enjoying a cool drink at the exclusive Atlantic Place Hotel. Below my profiteroles.
 
 

All of us posing in the foyer of the Atlantic Place. It wouldn't have been complete without Mum there as well! Just wish my sisters and a few other dear friends could have morphed themselves to the Congo as well!

Me outside the Atlantic Palace Hotel.

Moving on to dinner at one of our favourite local hangouts, a little place called Carnivore.

Me and Mum xoxo

One of the best things about celebrating your birthday at Carnivore is the very special birthday attention you get! There is live music on the weekends and as the birthday girl I got my own rendition of "Happy Birthday" where I got up close and personal to a saxophone. I was also presented with a lovely, warm piece of chocolate cake smothered in whipped cream and sporting the biggest sparkler I have ever seen!
 
 

Having Mum and Dad travel to the Congo for my 40th came with some extra perks as well. They went to lots of trouble to make this a birthday I will never forget. You see a whole heap of their luggage was dedicated to gifts and cards to  make me feel very special! Thank you to everyone who contributed in any way to my gits and cards. It was an outpouring of love that I have missed since living on the ship! Thanks to everyone at Door of Hope for the wonderful card for me and Andrew too! There were a few extra special gifts.....my whole family pitched in for an iPad mini and Andrew had a very unique necklace made for me. It is sliver an has the names of the ports we have docked, engraved on it. He was very proud of himself and spent a lot of time with one of his day crew making this happen.
 

Birthday lunch with the family at Katcus in Pointe Noire-best hamburgers in West and Central Africa found, thus far!

Selfie- Mum, Jess and Dad,  heading off for a night away at the Diosso Gorge.

Jess and I at the beach near the Gorge.

Our little night away was a bit of a classic TIA (this is Africa) moment. From the giant speakers at our bedheads, the bugs in our food, power outages, torrential rain, friendly locals and the beautiful sunset, it all defined Africa. Above-Mum, Dad, Jess and Andrew sitting down for dinner.

Our dinner view.

No power, no problem! A classic moment of brilliance by Andrew!

What an awesome birthday weekend, one I will treasure forever. I never in a million years thought I would have celebrated one, let alone three, birthday's in Africa. I am blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment