Preamble

We are a family of three; Andrew, Jodie and Jessica (aged 18) from Tasmania, Australia who are currently serving in Douala, Cameroon, Central Africa on the M/V Africa Mercy, the largest non-governmental hospital ship in the world, through Mercy Ships International. God has called us on a journey that has been many years in the making. For this season we call Africa home, as we seek to bring hope and healing to the poorest of the poor.



Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Boutique-Before and After




Boutique before sail-trying to get everything on the floor!
As an "Option 2 Mum"-ship speak for having a child between ages 6-13, I am required to work 20 hours per week. My job is The Boutique Manager. The Boutique is basicaly an op-shop but without exchange of money. As people leave or have a clean out or their kids grow out of clothes, they bring stuff down to The Boutique to donate. I then sort through everything and make it all looks pretty and clean on the shelves. I work four mornings per week, two evenings and one afternoon. It is a hard, hot and tiring job. You see lots of gross stuff and the other day I had hives on my arms. But I do get to meet and interact with many of the crew who I wouldn't normally meet. It is wonderful to hear a West African man squeal (yes squeal) in delight over the bright, shimmery purple African outfit made of material that look suspiciously like shower cutain or being able to give a doctor on the run two saftey pins to hold a child's sling in place. From hammocks to hand towels, books to bandanas, sleeping bags to sewing stuff.......the list is endless. You name it, I've seen it!



       The night before Grand Opening!











No comments:

Post a Comment